|Summer Program 2015|
Crested Butte Opera Studio
June 15 – July 26, 2015
The Crested Butte Music Festival announces the formation of the Crested Butte Opera Studio (formerly the Marcello Giordani Young Artist Program). Situated in the pristine Rocky Mountains, the program offers comprehensive training and performance opportunities for apprentice-level singers and pianists during a 6-week residency with the Crested Butte Music Festival.
The curriculum includes intensive, customized study with performance opportunities that go beyond the chorus or minor roles typically available to young singers. In 2015, these opportunities include singing and covering most of the lead roles in Donizetti's Don Pasquale, performing in an Opera Gala concert with the Festival Symphony Orchestra and presenting a themed and staged cabaret evening. The program also features a fitness-training component that promotes physical well-being through indoor and outdoor aerobic and strength training, yoga, and body alignment and movement work.
Studio Artists receive a weekly stipend and housing. Participating artists are also eligible for The Crested Butte Music Festival Award for Excellence in Memory of Rosalind Jackson, which will be announced at the final performance of Donizetti's Don Pasquale on July 26, 2015.
For more information including the online application, visit www.yaptracker.com
• Headshot and resume
• Audio files of two arias in contrasting styles and languages
• If called for a live audition, prepare three additional arias in contrasting styles and languages
• Rehearse and perform lead and cover roles in Donizetti's Don Pasquale, conducted by Maestro David Stern (Israeli Opera, Opera Fuoco, Drottningholm Opera Festival, Palm Beach Opera, Shanghai Baroque Festival, Vienna Chamber Orchestra)
• Perform in an Opera Gala with the Festival Symphony Orchestra
• Perform in a themed and staged cabaret evening
• Daily, individualized instruction in musical/dramatic work and stagecraft
• Private coachings with 2015 Artist-In-Residence, world-renowned tenor Barry Banks (Metropolitan Opera, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Paris Opera, Teatro all Scala, Berlin Staatsoper, Salzburg Festival) and dramaturg Cori Ellison (Glyndebourne Festival, Santa Fe Opera, San Francisco Opera)
• Italian language and lyric diction study
• Seminars on special topics including recitative, commedia dell'arte, talk-backs with the festival opera's design and production teams, and career guidance from visiting opera professionals
• Integrated breath and movement techniques for vocal freedom and embodied performance with Deanne Meek, mezzo-soprano
• Physical fitness training with Jennifer Hopkinson Smith and yoga with Sherrill Stenson
• Outdoor experiences with Wilderness Pursuits, a guided program offered by Western State Colorado University in rafting, hiking, and other outdoor sports
Roles Being Cast:
Note that primary selection criteria will be vocal and dramatic accomplishment. Special consideration will be given to applicants based on suitability for the roles listed below. An additional operatic work is also under consideration and will be selected to showcase the singers who are accepted into the program. Singers of all voice types are strongly encouraged to apply.
Donizetti: Don Pasquale
• Don Pasquale
• Audio file of two arias in contrasting styles and languages, to be sung and played
• Two letters of recommendation
• A short statement outlining your experience as an opera pianist and interest in the program
• If called for a live audition, prepare the three selections listed below. Successful applicants will demonstrate confident vocalism, idiomatic language, musical accuracy and excellent pianism with attention to orchestral colors and textures. The audition will also include sight-reading and an interview.
• Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro: recitativo proceeding "Voi che sapete": "Quando duolmi, Susanna..."
• Study operatic repertoire, pianism, lyric diction and principles of vocal coaching with the Opera Studio faculty
• Coach and prepare Studio Artists for roles and covers in Donizetti's Don Pasquale
• Play staging rehearsals for Don Pasquale, opera lab, and dramatic coachings
• Coach Studio Artists in arias and roles as necessary
• Perform in master classes and community/festival outreach events
Application, audio files and a non-refundable application fee of $35 must be received by November 3, 2014.
For application forms, visit:
2015 Administration and Faculty:
Alexander Scheirle, Festival Director
David Stern, Music Director-Opera
Barry Banks, 2015 Artist-in-Residence
Lynn Baker, Artistic Director, Opera Studio and Master Vocal Coach
Susan Caldwell, Master Vocal Coach
Cori Ellison, Dramaturg
Deanne Meek, Integrated Breath and Movement
Jennifer Hopkinson Smith, Fitness Training
Sherrill Stenson, Yoga